Consumer behavior studies inform decision makers in the business, government and non-profit sectors on how consumer decisions, preferences, activities and other behaviors are influenced by factors such as culture, subculture, demographics, sensation, thinking, conscious and unconscious information processing, knowledge organization, beliefs, interpersonal communication, learning from experience and values. This is an interdisciplinary field, drawing on such disciplines as marketing, psychology, sociology, anthropology, economics, linguistics, ethnic studies, gender studies, geography, history, cognitive science and communications to understand the experiences of contemporary consumers across the world.
To enroll in this minor, students must have completed a minimum of 32 units of college-level courses and have a minimum overall GPA of 2.75.
This minor requires 18-20 units.
Complete at least 10 units consisting of at least three courses from the list below subject to the following constraints:
- A minimum of 18 units (including MKT 450 and PSYC 100Lg ) must be unique to the minor (i.e., not be countable toward requirements for the major). This does not include any prerequisites for courses listed.
- At least 16 units of all courses taken for the minor are not offered by the student's major department. For Business Administration and Accounting majors, courses with prefixes of BUAD, DSO and MKT are considered to be offered by the student's major department.
- No more than two of the courses chosen from the list below may be offered by the same department.
- At least one of the courses chosen below has a prefix other than COMM, MKT and BUAD.
- Courses taken at institutions other than USC (i.e., International Exchange programs and transfer credits) cannot substitute for any of the minor requirements.
Data Science and Operations
Information Technology Program
Policy, Planning, and Development
* Prerequisites required
** Courses not offered regularly
(Prerequisites will not be waived for upper-division courses; students must complete the prerequisite courses needed in addition to the courses for this minor.)
Total requirements: at least five courses: 18-20 units