Jan 18, 2021
The minor in Science and Management of Biomedical Therapeutics consists of a minimum of 20 units of Pharmaceutical and Regulatory Science (RXRS) course work, 16 of which must be at the 300 or 400 level, and which are unique to this minor and do not overlap with the major, another minor or general education requirements of the undergraduate students.
The minor in Science and Management of Biomedical Therapeutics requires a minimum of five RXRS courses. A maximum of 4 units can be met by taking Directed Research (RXRS 490 ). Only students with a declared major are eligible to apply. Students must be in sophomore standing and have completed a minimum of 32 USC units as an entering freshman or 16 units as an entering transfer student.
Course work within the minor will focus on domains of pharmacology, pharmaceutical sciences, toxicology, nutritional sciences, medical product development and drug use and abuse.
Students will select course work in consultation with an academic adviser.
Required Pharmaceutical and Regulatory Science (RXRS) Courses
To gain a solid foundation for the minor, at least two core courses (selected from the four below) are required:
Additional Pharmaceutical and Regulatory Science (RXRS) Courses
The remaining units may be selected from the following RXRS courses. A maximum of 4 units of lower-division course work permitted. Students may select courses from the required course work category to complete the minimum five RXRS course requirement.
- RXRS 200 Approaches to Pharmacology and Drug Development Units: 4
- RXRS 201p The History and Geography of Drugs Units: 4
- RXRS 302 Introduction to Pharmacology and Therapeutics Units: 4
- RXRS 304 Mysterious Deaths: From Poisons in Literature and History to Forensic Toxicology Units: 4
- RXRS 404 Neuroimmunity in Health and Disease Units: 2
- RXRS 405 Breaking Brains: The Pharmacology of Addiction Units: 4
- RXRS 406 Clinical Pharmacology and Medication Management Units: 4
- RXRS 408 Arming the Immune System for Novel Therapies Units: 4
- RXRS 410 Cancer Biology and Pharmacotherapy Units: 4
- RXRS 411 Innovations in Medical Product Development Units: 4
- RXRS 412 Ethics, Drugs and Society Units: 4
- RXRS 413w Globalization of the Biomedical Industry Units: 4
- RXRS 414 Buzzed: Modern Substances of Abuse and Addiction Units: 4
- RXRS 417 Food Safety: The Good, The Bad and The Deadly Units: 4
- RXRS 418 Plant Medicines in Modern Medicine Units: 4
- RXRS 420 Organ Physiology, Drug Delivery, and Drug Action Units: 4
- RXRS 490x Directed Research Units: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8