Dec 05, 2023
A minor in immersive media is open to all undergraduate students at USC. This interdisciplinary minor provides the opportunity for technically minded students, business and entrepreneurially driven students, and/or creatively driven students to gain knowledge about the virtual reality industry and how to create content effectively. Students can add depth within a specific area by selecting elective courses within the same area or can add breadth by choosing elective courses from two separate areas.
To be eligible for the immersive media minor, a student must be in good academic standing and have a declared major. To declare the immersive media minor a student must get permission from the Interactive Media Division (SCI 201), and submit a change of major/minor form to Cinematic Arts Student Services (SCB 105).
The minor in immersive media requires a minimum of 24 units.
Lower Division Requirements
Upper Division Requirements
Take four units from the following list:
A minimum of eight units is required.
- CSCI 420 Computer Graphics Units: 4 *
- CTAN 443L Character Development for 3-D Animation and Games Units: 2 *
- CTAN 462 Visual Effects Units: 2
- CTAN 464L Digital Lighting and Rendering Units: 2 *
- CTAN 465L Digital Effects Animation Units: 2 *
- CTAN 485L Pipeline and Character Modeling for Animation Units: 2
- CTAN 495 Visual Music Units: 2
- CTAN 497L Procedural Animation Units: 2 *
- CTAN 508L Live Action Integration with Visual Effects Units: 2 * +
- CTAN 564L Motion Capture Fundamentals Units: 2 * +
- CTIN 404L User Research for Games Units: 2
- CTIN 444 Audio Expression Units: 2
- CTIN 479 Documentary and Activist Games Units: 2
- CTIN 486 Alternative Control Workshop Units: 2
- CTIN 489L Intermediate Game Design and Production Units: 4 4 Units: 4
- CTIN 490x Directed Research Units: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- CTIN 492L Experimental Game Topics Units: 4
- CTIN 503 Interactive Entertainment, Science, and Healthcare Units: 2 +
- CTWR 405 Storytelling for Virtual and Augmented Reality Units: 2 *
- CTXA 410 Audio Design for Animation and Immersive Media Units: 2 2 Units: 2
- IML 335 Digital Narrative Design I Units: 2
- IML 354 Introduction to 3-D Modeling Units: 2
- IML 385 Design Fiction and Speculative Futures Units: 4
- IML 475 Media Arts Research Lab Units: 2, 3, 4
- IML 490x Directed Research Units: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- IML 543 Transdisciplinary Media Design Practicum Units: 4 * +
- IML 575 Graduate Media Arts Research Lab Units: 2, 3, 4 +
- ITP 380 Video Game Programming Units: 4 *
+Enrollment in graduate-level courses requires special permission.