Jan 16, 2022
The department encourages applicants with undergraduate degrees in mathematics, statistics or biostatistics, computer science or other related fields. Undergraduate preparation should have included differential and integral calculus, introduction to mathematical statistics, and basic computer programming. Applicants should also meet the minimum requirements for admission to the Graduate School. Demonstrated proficiency in the English language is essential. With approval of the Graduate School, applicants not meeting these requirements may be conditionally admitted contingent upon maintaining a GPA of 3.0 for the first 12 units of graduate study.
General requirements include at least 39 units of required courses as follows: 28 units of core courses and at least 7 units of elective courses. Each student must also register for 4 units of PM 594a Master’s Thesis , PM 594b Master’s Thesis and write a master’s thesis.
Electives (At Least 7 Units)
- PM 511cL Data Analysis Units: 4
- PM 516a Statistical Problem Solving Units: 1
- PM 516b Statistical Problem Solving Units: 1
- PM 518b Statistical Methods for Epidemiological Studies I, II Units: 3
- PM 520L Advanced Statistical Computing Units: 3
- PM 523 Design of Clinical Studies Units: 3
- PM 534 Statistical Genetics Units: 3
- PM 544L Multivariate Analysis Units: 3
- PM 551 Statistical Methods in Genome-Wide Association Studies Units: 3
- PM 552 Statistical Methods in Clinical Trials Units: 3
- PM 560 Statistical Programming With R Units: 2
- PM 569 Spatial Statistics Units: 3
- PM 574 Programming In Modern Statistical Software Units: 2
- PM 575 Statistical Methods in Environmental Epidemiology Units: 3
- PM 579 Statistical Analysis of High-Dimensional Data Units: 4
- PM 588 The Practice of Epidemiology Units: 4
- PM 590 Directed Research Units: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
- PM 603 Structural Equation Modeling Units: 4, 2 years
- PM 604 Health Behavior Research Methods Units: 4
The student’s choice of elective courses will be directed by needs and interests and must be approved by the student’s graduate adviser. When appropriate, elective courses not listed above may be substituted with approval of the adviser. Sufficient familiarity in computer languages to operate major software packages for data management and analysis is required.